Hi and welcome to our Nomad Family blog!
I’m Monika. Author of all the posts and photos on this blog, also mum and wife, and planner of our adventures. And this is my family: husband Fredrick and two kiddos: Nella and Nikodem.
Born and rised in Poland, in my adult life I’ve lived so far in Prague, London and Chiang Mai. Now, after 7 years in London, we’ve moved back to Poland and made Warsaw our home again.
We met when a mutual friend organized a trip to China in 2007. That’s when the seeds of this blog were planted.
After several smaller trips, we decided on a year-long journey to Asia and Australia. Upon our return from that trip, we settled in London, where we lived for 6.5 years.
Our children were born in London. We all obtained British citizenship, and we still feel a connection to London, even though we don’t plan to return there permanently.
What we do when we don’t travel
I once wrote: “If money didn’t exist, we could spend our entire lives on the road, living here and there in small doses. But money does exist, so in our daily lives, we work like normal people.”
Now I think differently.
I wouldn’t want to live here and there all the time. We’ve created a wonderful home in Warsaw, which is our base. We’ve left ourselves a backup base in London. And that suits us just fine. I still dream of a longer trip – maybe spending half a year or a year living somewhere in Asia. But not longer than that.
Fryderyk works in IT, and me – for most of my professional life, I worked in communication and marketing in the non-profit sector. Since 2022, I’ve been involved in education.
- 2007: Trans-Siberian Railway journey to China
- 2009: 2 months in Peru, Bolivia, and Chile
- 2012-2013: A year-long trip across Asia and Australia
- December 2014: A two-week vacation in Cuba
- 2015/2016: 7 weeks in Uganda, Rwanda, and Ethiopia – our honeymoon
- October 2016: 9 days in Japan for our first wedding anniversary
- May 2017: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro + a stop in Dubrovnik – a two-week vacation during the 7th month of pregnancy
- December 2017: 10 days in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and short trips around – our first trip as a family of three; Nella was 3.5 months old
- March 2018: Paris – Easter holidays (Nella was 7 months old)
- May 2018: Scotland – a 5-day tour in May (Nella was 9 months old)
- May 2018: Morocco – an 11-day road trip in May 2018 (Nella was 9 months old)
- September 2018: Taiwan – a 14-day tour of the country (Nella was 13 months old)
- March 2019: South Africa – 17 days in Cape Town and surrounding areas (Nella was 1.5 years old)
- May 2019: Cyprus – 10 days in May 2019 (Nella was 21 months old)
- September 2019: Italy, Garda – a short vacation with 2-year-old Nella and during the 7th month of pregnancy
- February 2020: Relocation to Poland, the outbreak of the pandemic, and no more travels
- August 2021: Crete – 10 days of vacation in pandemic reality
- February 2022: Jordan – 2-week tour with two small children
- July 2023: Namibia – 3-week road trip with Nella (6yo) and Nikoś (3,5yo)
That’s all about us. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected].